Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Clever Plan

I'm gonna come up with a clever plan. Right now, I'm looking for a clever name. More clever than you think. Something so clever that only I or someone like Sherlock Holmes would ever be able to understand. Something that has meaning buried deep within. Right now, I'm looking at the Latin phrase:

"amor est carcere, libertatem in mortem".

It means "Love is jail, liberty in death." I made it up by taking two common sayings and mashing them together. Now, I just need a way to work it into a name. You know what gave me the idea? Sherlock.

Yeah. BBC's amazing show, Sherlock. It's based off Sherlock Holmes (the books), but set in a modern day setting. After watching the only episodes that have come out so far (episodes 1 - 3 of seasons 1 and 2), I decided to go a little deeper into Sherlock Holmes' story. I came out with this: Moriarty's name has a certain root in it. A Latin root. Can you guess what it is? I'll give you a second (even though you probably already saw it, below this).

It's "mor". Morbid, mortem, mortal, morgue, mortician, etc.. Moriarty has "mor" in common with all those words. That inspired me. I don't know and never will know whether Sir Arthur Conan Doyle meant for this to be, or whether it was just a common name at the time that he picked. Either way, I decided something like this would be optimal if I were ever to come up with a clever plan. Alors, here I am, just sitting and thinking of a way to work "amor est carcere, libertatem in mortem" into a proper name. I could use this name for whatever I want, and then, when people are looking back at something I used the name for, they might be able to figure out what the original meaning was.

I'm thinking maybe the saying backwards? It becomes "metrom ni metatrebil, erecrac tse roma". Not much to work with there, either. If one splits it every other letter, it becomes these two: "ao s acr, ieae i otm" and "mr et cree, lbrae n mre". That starts with "MR", so maybe something like Mr. Etcree? I think it might be too obscure, I would have to use the other letters in some way too.

I could always go for an analogy* (Tom Marvolo Riddle = I am Lord Voldemort was amazing to me). An analogy would be a bit harder, but I think I could do it (especially now that I know there's an m and an r, for "Mr.".

Hmm...

*I meant anagram, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment