Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Grades

Grades always give me trouble lately. I feel like I was kind of born with all the knowledge I needed up until 6th grade or something, because up until mid-7th grade, I never had to show effort. I'm lucky I wasn't like that up till 8th grade, because these last 2 years have given me time to straighten myself up. I've had to learn how to study later than everyone because I never had to study before this. So, high school should be a breeze up till sophomore year. During sophomore year I'm gonna be suicidal. It's probably inevitable. Every genius I know was suicidal during sophomore year. I don't know why. Maybe it's just the year that people kinda give up? I don't know. Whatever. I'll make it through.

We had English finals today. They were harder than I thought. I was a bit distracted. I used a story that I didn't study for, because I couldn't remember the name of the main character of the story I studied for. Of all the things I studied for the story "The Contender", themes, plot, etc., I never thought to memorize the main character's name. I had a few names in my head but was anxious and didn't want to botch the name and ruin the essay, so I used a story I didn't study for. The whole grammar stuff was easy. I'm a blogger, coder, and redditor. If I didn't have grammar, I would have almost nothing. I actually didn't read two of the books fully either, so I think my grades in the class are pretty awesome. Since the final counts for 1/5 of the grade and I got to choose what I used, I think I passed that pretty easily.

Social Studies finals tomorrow. It also happens to be the last day of school. Social Studies is too easy for me. It's just memorizing facts and memorizing them in chronological order. I'm good at memorizing things. I memorized 50 something digits of pi for pi day (3.14, March 14th) in math class. I almost won, but got second place because some curses go here girl memorized more than me. Still, no one came close to me. The closest was below half of my amount. I still feel accomplished.

So yeah, grades. They're important. They determine where people go, who they interact with, what they do, what they CAN do, etc.. Some people say, "oh, grades are just a number, they don't express anything about anyone." While I don't think grades can say how smart someone is, they do say something about them. They say how responsible a person is. How consistent a person is. Intelligence alone can't be measured properly, but consistency combined with responsibility are obviously the closest things we've figured out how to measure so far. The SAT score and stuff is different. That doesn't measure responsibility or consistency. It measures retention in my opinion. How much can a given student retain from an SATPrep book? How much vocabulary? Of course, that's all just a silly naive 13 year-old's opinion. If you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment