Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Piracy

Here are my thoughts on piracy. First off, I talked about .9999999999... = 1 earlier. Because it DOES. Here: (click the image to read the stuff, I suck at resizing with HTML because I don't know what size everything is exactly. w00t. Got the resizing down perfectly.)




Saw that on the interwebs (/b/, but I'm breaking the first rule by talking about it so I'll stop). It's so awesome. I asked that to my math teacher in 7th grade and she said "lol idk". It angered me. Math teachers, not knowing the answer to a simple math question? So I Googled it. Take that, Mrs. Gill. Anyways, back on topic. Piracy.

Piracy is fine by me. Well, obviously it's gonna be, because I'm 13 and I've never had anything I've created be pirated before. Seriously, though: here's my view on it. If I have $10 on me and I walk into a store, and I walk out with $10 and a video game, I stole it. It's either that, or I somehow found a free video game or a video game that costs $50 and I found a $50 bill on the floor. So, I walk in with the intent of stealing, and I steal something. That is stealing.

Now, here's a different scenario. I want to watch a show. For argument's sake, we'll say I want to watch Legend of Korra.
  1. I'm not torrenting it so I can watch it without commercials. I have a fast forward button on my remote!
  2. If it's not on and I don't have it recorded, I wouldn't be able to watch it at the moment anyways.
So, I torrent it. There is a copyright law that I'm breaking, but I don't want to wait half a week to watch a show that is fully available online.

Another scenario? Sure! I want to play a video game. Maybe, Minecraft. (Note: I hate this game, but I've played it. Look at my previous posts.)
  1. I torrent it because I don't have $30 on me anyways.
  2. I torrent it because even if I did have $30, I would buy something else with it (when I awoke, I spent that on a necklace (brownie points if you got the reference (these are a lot of open parentheses, I'm gonna have to close all of these soon (holy shit ((((())))))))) (by the way, I counted all the parentheses, that's actually the exact amount of parentheses needed for equality, I didn't guess. An unended paren is srs bznss)
  3. I don't torrent it with the intent of stealing. If I don't have $30 on me to begin with, then I wouldn't be able to buy it. If my age group is the target age group for minecraft and none of us torrented it, we wouldn't like it. If we didn't like it, we wouldn't buy it.
  4. To defend on people torrenting, I think people should just use "free versions" or "free demos" more often. Time-limited vs Feature-limited is another issue that pops up over there, though. Alas, that is a topic for another blog post.
So yeah. I torrent. @ anyone who reads this and has made a movie or game or paid software or something: I'm sorry. (although if you're making paid software, I hate you. Make open-source software and put ads on the site or something!) Chances are, if you've made something and I absolutely needed/wanted it, I've torrented it. Again. I'm sorry. 

 I really need to start signing my blog posts or something, it feels kinda empty down here (especially because I suck at concluding posts).

No comments:

Post a Comment